What is Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy?
Emotionally Focused therapy (EFT) is a structured approach to couples therapy, drawing on the science of adult attachment and bonding. Respected clinical researchers have refined the EFT approach over the last 30 years with the cooperation of numerous real couples just like you,
How do we Know EFT Works?
Studies find that 3 out of 4 couples move from distress to recovery after a course of EFT (12-16 sessions)—and 90% show significant improvement. That’s 9 out of 10 couples reporting feeling better after EFT.
How does EFT work?
- A typical course of EFT will start with a first session where you and your partner get to know the therapist, and together begin to determine goals for therapy.
- The second and third sessions are individual meetings with each partner to explore the past experiences that have shaped their conscious and unconscious expectations of a relationship.
- Subsequent sessions continue with couples’ work, focusing on helping you become aware of how you get caught in negative cycles, how to develop the self-awareness and compassion to defuse the cycles, and move towards reclaiming trust and intimacy with your partner.
Will EFT Work For Us?
Many different kinds of couples can benefit:
- Couples who have fallen into patterns of arguing or distance
- Couples who are dealing with chronic illness in one or both partners
- Couples where one or both partners have symptoms of depression, anxiety, or PTSD
EFT is not just for couples in crisis. It’s great for premarital counseling, rekindling a relationship in its mid-years, and supporting a relationship in stressful times.
What is my Training in EFT?
My master’s degree is in couples therapy, and I fell in love with EFT in school. Since then, I have been trained by Dr. Sue Johnson, the originator of EFT, and completed the EFT Externship, an intensive four-day training that includes actual practice of EFT skills and learning from experts working live with real couples. I have more than 200 hours of experience working with couples and am listed in databases of EFT-approved therapists: the Seattle Community of Emotionally Focused Therapists and the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy.
My passion is helping couples find, grow, and experience love and acceptance. I would love to work with you. Are you ready for change?